26 January 2006

Frugal Toiletries

Just a few tips on saving money in the bathroom:

• Use only a pea-sized squeeze of toothpaste on your brush. It gets the job done.

• Dilute your shampoo with 5 parts hot water. Trust me, there's more than enough detergent in shampoo to cut 90 weight oil!

1. Rinse and save your empty shampoo and dish detergent bottles. For every 5 bottles...
2. Take a brand new bottle of shampoo, and pour 1/6 of its contents into each of the other 5 bottles.
3. Fill each of the bottles (including the now 5/6 empty shampoo bottle) with scalding hot water.
4. Close lids, and shake gently.
5. Let cool with lids open. Once cool, store for later use. (Don't worry if the shampoo and water don't look properly mixed. Over time, nature and physics will do the work for you.)

• Floss with polyester thread - take a strand and fold it so that it will be doubled. It will actually cut closer to the the enamel, and pick up better in the two strands. This isn't a good idea for small children, because if not done carefully, the thread can cut the gums.

4 Comments:

Blogger Sandy said...

These are absolutely great ideas. I do that very thing with my shampoo. It's no wonder so many people are losing their hair with that super concentrated shampoo on the market today. I mainly started diluting my shampoo for health reasons (thinning hair) but realized how much money I was saving on shampoo by diluting it. There is no way I will ever use straight shampoo again.

I make my own hair rinse by getting two chamomile tea bags and boiling water. I let it steep until it's cool enough to rinse my hair. I pour it on my just washed hair and leave it in. It makes your hair shiney and soft. Sometimes I'll add about three tblsp. of apple cider vinegar which takes out the tangles and brings your hair back to a ph balance.

I love your site, you have so many good ideas.

S

9:55 PM, January 27, 2006  
Blogger B* said...

Have you seen Craigslist? YOu can get tons of stuff and CHEAP!! on there.

My hubs and I just started out in our own place with credit card debt to begin with.....that site was our savior.....oh and Walmart and Dollar Stores!

4:20 AM, January 28, 2006  
Blogger Russell CJ Duffy said...

great, great, great blog site. about time someone with soul did something like this.

3:15 AM, February 01, 2006  
Blogger Wild Widow said...

Sandy: I've never tried that with tea. I've used cider to help strip old buildup from soap. (And did you know that many shampoos and conditioners have wax in them to coat hair. It's really very bad for the hair. It weakens it, and causes breakage and split ends.)

sdit: I've never seen a "Craiglist." I'll google it today. Thank you!

Cocaine Jesus: Thank you. Your compliment did wonders for my spirit today.

10:42 AM, February 01, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home